Re: Updates to the aer201/ shared directory

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 12:38:10PM -0500, Joyce Poon wrote:

> Enjoy your holidays... don't spend your whole Christmas in front of your
> computer.

I watched 45 minutes of a movie before replying to this email.  Is
that good enough?  ;-)

> I have tried this new email thread thing.  It doesn't work on SSH, but it
> does work on Telnet (it's probably due to different levels of security).
> In fact, if you use SSH, it locks you off immediately if you try to access
> the shared directory. However, the layout is a little screwed up.

Using ssh does not lock you off for trying to access the shared
directory (I do everything via ssh! :).  Something else is going-on...
Don't worry about it---if it becomes important I can look into it,
otherwise it doesn't matter.

I can run nedit over ssh...  :-)  You can't so don't bother trying...  :-)

> Sometimes you can't read the first letter of the menu items (presumably
> the caps).  I have a vague idea of  how the thing works after playing with

Hmm...  Well, I just tried it from telnet in Windows 95 and the screen
was completely illegible.  (Ugh!)

The mutt mail reader tries to use IBM's extended ascii to draw lines
connecting related messages.  Those lines probably aren't being drawn
correctly and you just see wierd characters.  It should work from ecf
computers, and maybe there's an easy solution that would make it work
from your computer at home, too.  Do you have Windows 98 or 95?

[as a useful aside].

The Ctrl-L key is the standard key for interactive Unix programs to tell
them to redraw the screen when it gets messed-up.  This works in Pine,
pico, mutt, Lynx, and almost every text-based interactive Unix program I
can think of.

> I don't know how they count the 12 days of christmas.  But have either 2
> turtle doves or 10 lords a-leaping.

Actually, neither.  The twelve days of Christmas begin on December 25
and end on January 5.  Or, more historically, from sundown on the 24th
to sundown on the 5th.  I believe it's tied to the end of Advent.

Since you were wondering...  :-)