Section Numbering

I really need some type of major section number from you for my work.
There is at least one instance where the figure number should be
scanned-into the picture along with the rest of the figure.

Eg.  Your subsytem might have major number 2, producing figures like
2.1.0, 2.1.1, etc. Cindy's might have major number 3, producing figures
like 3.1.0, etc. and then mine would be ???

[I phoned about this, but you weren't available].