Re: Batteries

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Cindy Wong wrote:
> "Sealed lead acid batteries can be either flooded or gelled.
> If gelled, then these batteries cannot spill and will not give off
> explosive hydrogen gas when charging.  They do not need to be vented and
> will not freeze if exposed to severely cold weather.  They can be used in
> close proximity to the inverters and charge controllers without fear of
> corrosive gasses being vented near the sensitive electronic equipment.
> They also have a long life expectancy when used according to the
> manufacturer's recommendations.  With all of these wonderful qualities,
> why don't we all use them for all off-grid installations?"
>
> The first line clearly says that gel cells ARE lead acid batteries.  The
> whole shorting thing is a speculation.  We don't know that.

yeah, they are. But don't we want gelled lead acids (hence gel cells) and
not just any plain old lead acid?  And isn't it better to have batteries
that don't give off explosive H2? :)

BTW, I have found the online yellow pages.
	www.yellowpages.ca

There's a bunch of battery places.  I'll narrow down the list to just the
ones in TO for you.