Re: Touch sensors (placement of)

Yes, this old thread again...

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 06:17:05PM -0500, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> > No.  Because although we do have a front/back side to the robot, there are
> > still lots of chances of getting hit on the sides too (ie in a corner).
>
> Try taking a circular object that can only move back/forwards and
> making it strike an object with its side.  It's by no means
> impossible, but it's far harder.

While refining the procedure Zeta follows when she runs into an
obstacle, I noticed that we can reap great improvements with yet
another slight modification to the placement of the touch sensors:

When you strike an obstacle, you want to know whether the centre of
the obstacle is to your left or to your right.  With a square
obstacle, you cannot tell this.  With a circular obstacle, such as a
garbage can, you can tell this!

However, the sensors must be arranged correctly, not just at any
angle.

     /.\
      .
      .
 o    .   o
      .
      .
     \./

The 'o' is a wheel, the '/' and '\' are two different touch sensors.

Obviously there isn't supposed to be a gap between the two touch
sensors at the head and tail of Zeta.  :-)  That's just a limitation
of my ascii art.

Please make sure the sensors are aligned in this manner, Cindy.  If
they're already on when you read this, it's not important that they be
moved now, only that they can be moved.