Re: Motors/base/etc.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 08:39:22PM -0500, Cindy Wong wrote:

> I'm crying right about now.

Hmm...  Well, I see this as a good-news/bad-news message.  :)

> You know how we thought the motors may not be enough to drive our robot?
> Guess again.  I'll have to rework the motor placement, but it'll drive the

I'm not sufficiently familiar with the Hadron's layout to visualize
this, but...  Is reworking the motor placement a major problem?

> Now, what am I crying about?  Well, the nice little pulley I have attached
> to the motor was cut off by the belt because the motor was so strong.
> And, after several trials (of course, this was after the pulley had been
> chewed off and I'm placing the belt on the metal shaft directly from the

Nah, you're too cute for me to envision you crying.  ;-)  The belt
probably snapped partly because it was placed directly on the motor's
shaft --- I seem to remember the motor having a roughened shaft, which
would quickly create a _lot_ of wear & tear on the belt.

I'm not sure I understand how the pulley attached to the motor was cut
off.  I think that's the problem you need to solve.  It was a plastic
pulley, right?

> motor), the belt snapped.  This is not good.  Over heating is definitely a
> problem.  I really hope that we won't be giving our motor 12 volts all the

Several points in your favour:

	- You were running the motor directly from the aer201 power
	  supply.  It's already been demonstrated that the aer201
	  power supply tends to make motors turn faster and with more
	  torque than do the batteries.
	- You were running the motor directly from the aer201 power
	  supply and not through the motor control circuit.  It's
	  already been demonstrated that there is a significant power (ie.
	  voltage + current) drop through the motor control circuit.
	- You were running the motor directly from the aer201 power
	  supply and not through the PWM circuit composed of the comp
	  board and the motor control circuit.  The computer will
	  ensure that the motor never runs so fast that we exceed 1m/s.
	  Presumably the motor was turning at such a speed that Zeta
	  would have exceeded 1m/s.

Give me a call, if you want...

(416-341-0935)

> Tim, I may need some help to finish everything on time.  =(

Bah!  You actually thought you'd be able to finish it without me!?!
HAHAHA!

;-)