Motor Power Output [was Re: Thursday, Jan 18]

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 11:11:38AM -0500, Joyce Poon wrote:

> - robot getting increasingly heavy - wgt prob?
> - If robot is too heavy, I wonder if our motors will drive it...

Is anyone else using the (exact) same motor as us?  The only way that
I can think of to find the maximum voltage that the motor will take is
by simply increasing the supply voltage until the motor breaks.

I don't know what happens when the motor breaks.  I suppose the
windings heat-up too much and melt.  Probably the motor can withstand
a very significant short overvoltage (eg. when accellerating from a
stop or switching directions).

higher supply voltage == more torque (and rpm, to a limit, I think)