Re: Last points

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 05:59:25PM -0500, Joyce Poon wrote:

> Is semiotics the study of words & their meanings?  If I recall correctly,
> it is a very rigorous study of words...  I believe UT does offer courses
> on semiotics.

Main Entry:     se·mi·ot·ic

Pronunciation:  -'ä-tik

Variant(s):     or se·mi·ot·ics /-tiks/

Function:       noun

Inflected Form(s):      plural semiotics

Etymology:      Greek sEmeiOtikos observant of signs, from
		sEmeiousthai to interpret signs, from sEmeion sign,
		from sEma sign

Date:   1880

: a general philosophical theory of signs and symbols that deals especially
  with their function in both artificially constructed and natural languages
  and comprises syntactics, semantics, and pragmatics

- semiotic adjective
- se·mi·o·ti·cian   /-&-'ti-sh&n/ noun
- se·mi·ot·i·cist   /-'ä-t&-sist/ noun

I think "study of words and their meanings" would fall under that
definition, but, on the other hand, I'm no semiotician.